Introduction:It is tempting to feed your canine companion assorted scraps from the dinner table. But, some foods that are considered nutritious and good for the people can be very dangerous for the dogs. Keep these five foods away from your pooch, and do not forget to tell children to do the same.
Chocolates contain compounds like theobromine and caffeine, which belong to a group of chemicals called methylxanthines. These compounds are quite toxic for your dog. The thumb rule with the chocolate is "the darker it is, the more dangerous it is." Dark chocolates have very high levels of methylxanthines; therefore, these are more toxic for the dogs.
Depending on the amount and type of chocolate ingested, signs seen can range from increased thirst, vomiting, restlessness and abdominal discomfort to severe muscle tremors, agitation, irregular heart rhythm, high body temperature and seizures. Chocolate intoxication in pets is most commonly seen in festivals like Christmas, Easter, Halloween and Valentine's Day, but it can also happen any time your pooch has access to the products that contain chocolate.
Avocado fruit, leaves, bark and seeds contain a toxic compound known as persin. The Guatemalan variety of Avocado is the most problematic as it contains high amount of persin. Other varieties of avocados can have different level of persin.
In addition to dogs, other animals like rabbits and some large animals, including horses, are especially sensitive to the avocados. These animals can have congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, respiratory distress, and even death from consuming avocado.
The raw bread dough that is made with live yeast can be hazardous if ingested by your canine companion. If raw dough is swallowed, then the moist, warm environment of animal stomach provides a perfect environment for the yeast to multiply, resulting in an expanding mass of dough. This expansion may be severe enough to decrease the blood flow to the stomach wall, which results in the death of tissue. In addition to this, the expanding stomach of pet may press the diaphragm, which results in breathing difficulty. When yeast multiplies, it produces alcohols that can be absorbed by the stomach wall, resulting in alcohol intoxication.
If dog is affected, it may have distended abdomens and show signs such as disorientation, lack of coordination, stupor and vomiting. In extreme cases, seizures and coma may occur and the dog could lead to death from the alcohol intoxication
The consumption of grapes and raisins is associated with the development of the kidney failure in the dogs. Dogs experiencing grape or raisin toxicity may develop lethargy, vomiting, or diarrhea within 12 hours of ingestion of this food product. As signs progress, dogs become increasingly dehydrated and lethargic.
Dogs may also refuse to eat and show a brief increase in the urination which is followed by decreased or absent urination in the later stages. In extreme cases, death due to kidney failure may also occur within 3-4 days, or long-term kidney disease may persist in the dogs who survive in this intoxication.
Onion family contains compounds, which if ingested in sufficient quantities, can damage dogs' red blood cells. A thumb rule is "the stronger it is, the more toxic it is." The garlic is more toxic than the onion, on an ounce-for-ounce basis. The damage to red blood cells caused by garlic and onion generally does not become apparent until 3-5 days after a dog eats these foods.
The affected dogs may seem reluctant to move or weak or they may appear to tire easily. The urine color of dog becomes orange-tinged to dark red. The affected dogs should be immediately examined by a vet.
select one here...