Poison prevention for children is important. Every 30 seconds there is a child in the United States that is poisoned. Kids under the age of 6 account for 60 percent of these poisonings. Little ones explore the world by putting things in their mouths. They are attracted to bright colors and fancy packaging. They also love good smells and will attempt to eat and drink things even when they taste bad.
Medicines and alcohol can be fatal if they are taken in the wrong amount. For poison prevention, keep these things out of the reach of children. If they get hold of medications and take too much of them for their size and weight, they can be fatal. Iron pills in adult-strength are extremely dangerous for a child to swallow. In less than 30 minutes, they can start to throw up blood or have bloody diarrhea. If a little one swallows alcohol, it can cause seizures or coma. It does not matter what form the alcohol comes in. It could be mouthwash, facial cleaners or hair products. These substances can have as much alcohol-content in them as an alcoholic beverage.
Pesticides, or chemicals used to kill insects and other pests need to be kept away from children for poison prevention. Many of these things can be absorbed via the skin. The fumes can also be breathed in. The nervous system can be harmed. The garage is a common site for accidental poisonings. Gasoline, kerosene, car wax, weed killer, lawn fertilizer, paint, paint thinners, motor oil, lighter fluid, antifreeze and windshield washing fluid are considered hydrocarbons. They can cause lung inflammation and death. Windshield washer can cause blindness and antifreeze can cause kidney failure if it is ingested.
There are some cleaning products that can cause chemical burns which can be just as horrible as burns from a fire. Drain openers, rust removers, oven cleaners and toilet bowl cleaners can all cause problems. Dish washing detergent, window cleaner, liquid dish soap, scouring soap, ammonia and furniture polish are all dangerous substances that should be kept on high shelves or in locked cabinets for poison prevention. Cosmetics, shampoo, lotions, perfumes, bleach and dye can also be added to the list of poisonous items.
There are many different types of wild mushrooms that grow everywhere. It is difficult to know which of these mushrooms are not good to eat. It takes a mushroom expert to identify which ones are safe to eat verses ones that are poisonous. There are some wild berries and plant leaves that can be hazardous if eaten. For poison prevention, it is important to be careful with children in the outdoors.
There are several different types of glue that can be harmful. One of the worst is nail-glue and products used for artificial nails. They can be extremely dangerous. There are some nail-glue removers that have caused cyanide poisoning. Nail primers have caused skin and mouth burns to children when they have tried to drink them. Poison prevention includes keeping kids away from invisible poisons. These substances can be harmful when breathed in. Invisible poisons are vapors, gases, carbon monoxide, industrial pollution and exhaust fumes. Some children have been harmed by sucking on a cigarette lighter.
March is National Poison Prevention Month.
In most households there are poison dangers that go unnoticed and your right lots of children suffer serious injury from poisonous products that careless adults either simply over looked or did put out of reach of children. Ping Ya!
Great parenting tips to be always aware of the dangers with children around substances that can cause injury or death.You have brought attention to the products we use around the house that should be monitored well around children.Well done.
select one here...