The effects of global warming can be felt around the globe. Carbon dioxide emissions effect the ozone layer in the atmoshere, caused by pollutants, such as cars and other vehicles, factories, etc.
Greenhouse gases from these emissions accumulate over time and causes global warming.
Increasing populations in developed and developing countries contributes to global warming as well, as the demand for fossil fuels such as oil and gas increases. The fossil fuels that are being burned on the surface of the Earth spews toxins into the air and causes greenhouse gases, warming the Earth's atmosphere.
Humans are responsible for increased carbon dioxide concentrations by up to 30%, and the CO2 concentrations are higher than has been seen on Earth in the past 50 million years.
As a result of global warming, the temperature in recent years has increased dramatically. It is the warmest it has been on Earth since the last hundreds, possibly thousands of years.
In my area where I live in Quebec, today it is nearly 100 degrees F, over that with the humidity! Tomorrow is the official day of the summer commencing, June 21st, and we are having a heat wave for the next few days.
We are supposed to have record hot temperatures for July and August as well.
The past few years I've noticed its been getting hotter in the summer, compared to previous years. There is also less snow in the winter as the years go by.
What can YOU do to HELP the ENVIRONMENT??
- reduce, reuse, recycle - buy foods with minimal packaging, use reusuable containers instead of disposable ones; recycle cans, plastic, paper, all recyclable materials
- use less heat and air conditioning
- replace bulbs with energy-efficient, CFL bulbs
- use less hot water
- car pool, bike, walk, drive less, use public transit
- buy a vehicle that saves on gas consumption, and gives you more miles to the gallon
- plant a tree - a tree will absorb one tonne of CO2 emissions in its lifetime, and gives off oxygen
select one here...